The United States of Frozen: Love is an Open Door
In this special nationwide competition, the Educational Theatre Association will grant one (1) high school in every US state and territory the rights to produce Disney’s Frozen: The Broadway Musical.
In partnership with Music Theatre International and Disney Theatrical Group
How to Apply
Winners will be chosen via an online application process. Interested schools will be asked to demonstrate how their production will use the theme “Love Is an Open Door” as an opportunity to strengthen their school community, provide outreach to underserved groups, and support inclusive and diverse theatre programs.
Application Deadline: August 8, 2022
Prize Package includes:
- Rights to produce three (3) free performances of Frozen*
- Schools may present additional performances with paid royalties.
- Capacity limit of 500 audience members per performance. For greater than 500 per performance, royalties will apply.
- Additional grants may be available for under-resourced schools.
- Free digital script, score, and 21-piece orchestration (Performance Accompaniment Tracks will not be provided)
- Free logo pack
- Free video license
Who Should Apply
Schools will be evaluated based on merit and need. Please note that all eligible schools are encouraged to apply, regardless of their financial resources. We’re looking for schools committed to the discipline of musical theatre, capable of mounting their own production of Frozen, and interested in promoting outreach in their communities.
- Applicants must be a high school (grades 9-12) in a U.S. state or territory. Public, private, charter, magnet, and arts schools are all eligible.
- Each winning school’s production of Frozen must be performed between September 2022 and January 2024.
- Schools must be able to perform their production of Frozen with live musicians.
- Winning schools will be required to:
- Be chartered as a Thespian Troupe with the International Thespian Society no later than October 1, 2022.
- Participate in periodic virtual production meetings with EdTA, Disney, and MTI.
- Provide photos and videos of their production to EdTA, Disney, and MTI.
- Complete photo/video releases for all participants who wish to be included in marketing and national press, including performers, directors, designers, and any other individuals involved in the production.
- Provide information for a national directory of high schools participating in “The United States of Frozen.”
About the FROZEN score
The Frozen score features 21 instruments as listed below. While schools may reduce the number of musicians in their orchestra as needed, it is required that all music in the show be played live. Performance accompaniment tracks will not be provided.
- KEYBOARD 1 / ACCORDION
- KEYBOARD 2
- REED 1 – Piccolo / Flute / Clarinet / Soprano Sax / Alto Sax
- REED 2 – Flute / Oboe / English Horn / Clarinet / Tenor Sax
- REED 3 – Clarinet / Bass Clarinet / Bari Sax / Bassoon
- FRENCH HORN 1
- FRENCH HORN 2
- TRUMPET 1
- TRUMPET 2
- BASS TROMBONE / TUBA
- DRUMS (+ drum pad)
- GUITARS / OCTAVE MANDOLIN
- BASS – Upright Acoustic / Electric
- VIOLIN / VIOLA